The Poultry Project 2010 Chicken Coop Design Competition is calling farmers, designers, thinkers, architects, artists, and locavores to design a chicken coop for use in urban or suburban backyards.
The ideal coop will integrate aesthetics with utility and make creative use of local materials.
The competition is open to all.
“It is just as desirable to build a chicken house as it is to build a cathedral.” – Frank Lloyd Wright
Chickens will compost, fertilize, control pests, and lay eggs.
Return the favor, build them a nice coop!
- Location – urban/suburban backyard
- Sizes – suitable for 6 birds or less; allow 4 sq. ft. per bird (Cleveland and many other U.S. cities permitting urban chicken keeping restrict the # of birds to a flock of 6 or less)
- Protection – protect the birds from the elements, predators, theft, and injury
- Feed & Water – allow space for easy access to feed & water supplies
- Ventilation – keep the coop dry and draft-free with windows, door(s) & roof; controlling humidity is essential (especially in winter)
- Nests – one nest for every 4 hens
- Perch – provide 6-10 in. of perch space per bird
- Light – a source of light is vital for layers; an electric light may be needed during winter or in cool climates
The images of your design can include illustrations, photographs of small scale or full size models, video, etc. Building the coop design is optional, but encouraged.
Please see complete official rules for further details.
- Cash prize of $500 for juried prize; the panel is made up of prominent local farmers, designers and change-makers.
- Cash prize of $250 for people’s prize; vote made by event attendees.
- Winners to be featured in a variety of media.
- Winning designs to be fabricated as built prototypes and considered for commercial manufacture.
- Winning designs to be modified for use by The Poultry Project participants in Uganda.
- The competition is open to all.
- Only one entry per entrant is allowed.
- All entrants must submit original work.
- Winner will be notified by phone or email.
- Submitted designs are the property of the applicant.
- The Poultry Project has the right to use all designs on its website, in printed publications, advertisements and publicity; the designs can also be used/modified by the organization’s participants in Uganda for their individual chicken farming businesses.
How to enter?
Entry Packet Checklist:
- Completed and signed Entry Form (mail)
- $10 entry fee (payable to The Poultry Project) (mail)
- 250 word description of your design (mail or email)
- Visualization of design (email scanned images/mail hard copies)
Mail entry packet (completed entry form, $10, visualization documentation, 250 word design description) to:Chicken Coop Design Competition/The Poultry Project
1272 Ramona Avenue
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
Email (visualization documentation and 250 word design description) to: kflamos [at] poultryproject.com (please replace [at] with @)
- $10 entry fee (payable to The Poultry Project)