The 2010 Photoshare World Pneumonia Day Photo Contest is a collaboration between Photoshare, a service of Knowledge for Health (K4Health), and the International Vaccine Access Center at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in partnership with the Global Coalition against Child Pneumonia. Contest prize sponsorship provided by Nikon.
By submitting their images, participants donate their work and contribute to a growing collection of development-oriented photography, helping nonprofits communicate health and development issues worldwide.
Do you have images capturing pneumonia’s impact worldwide, interventions or awareness campaigns in action? Positive stories and photos documenting healthy outcomes for children under the age of five? You may have an award-winning photo and a chance to win a digital camera!
The 2010 Photoshare World Pneumonia Day Photo Contest will focus attention on the devastating impact of pneumonia, a disease that claims the lives of 2 million children under five each year. This effort, with support from World Pneumonia Day partner organizations will complement lead up activities to the second-annual World Pneumonia Day on 12 November 2010.
The contest will highlight photography’s vital role in capturing the realities and impact of pneumonia worldwide. Contest images will support Photoshare and international nonprofits using photography to communicate issues related to global health and development.
The contest features five categories:
- Best Entry for Africa
- Best Entry for The Americas
- Best Entry for Europe and Central Asia
- Best Entry for South-East Asia
- Best Entry for Western Pacific
A Nikon digital camera will be awarded for each category.
Photos will be judged on the basis of content (relevance to category) and technical quality (e.g. lighting, composition, focus) by an independent panel of judges for cash and camera prizes.
- Most Outstanding Entry: selected from all contest submissions: SLR Digital Camer
- Best Narrative: selected from all contest submissions: Coolpix Digital Camera
- Best Entry: Africa: Coolpix Digital Camera
- Best Entry: The Americas: Coolpix Digital Camera
- Best Entry: Europe and Central Asia: Coolpix Digital Camera
- Best Entry: South-East Asia: Coolpix Digital Camera
- Best Entry: Western Pacific: Coolpix Digital Camera
Winning photos and photographers will be publicly announced and featured online and displayed during the summer of 2010.
- All entries and accompanying entry forms must be received by 31 May 2010 (delivery or E-Mail) to qualify for consideration. Entries arriving late with a postmarked date of 31 May will be accepted until 5:30pm on 4 June 2010.
- Any individual or organization, with the exception of contest judges, are welcome to participate (including both amateur and professional photographers).
- One photo allowed per category (5 maximum): At a minimum, digital images must be approximately 1600×1200 pixels. Photos below the minimum resolution, collages, digitally altered photos, photos without completed entry forms, and photos previously contributed to Photoshare are not eligible for consideration. Original color or black & white prints, slides, negatives, are acceptable.
- Originals will be returned upon request at participant’s expense through UPS or DHL when a street address is provided (no P.O. boxes). Photoshare is not responsible for the loss or damage of photographs. However, in the event that photos are lost or damaged on return, Photoshare will resend digital copies, when available.
- Entries that violate copyright or the laws of the country in which they were taken are not acceptable.
- All photos submitted MUST be accompanied by a narrative that explains the role that pneumonia has played in the lives of the subjects or the photographer. There is not a required minimum or maximum length to the narrative, however, the expected desired length is 100-300 words.
- Photographer’s images will be donated for charitable use. The contest participant grants to The Johns Hopkins University, on behalf of Photoshare at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health/Center for Communication Programs (CCP), a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free license to use such photographs in its Photoshare database, and grants all such other rights, including the right to sublicense, the right to copy, distribute, publicly display or perform, and the right to create derivative works, as may be necessary to meet the requirements of the Photoshare database, and to fully realize and carry out the purposes thereof, without requiring The Johns Hopkins University to notify the Participant, seek the Participant’s permission, or owe any form of compensation to the Participant. This agreement will apply to all photographs and other submissions supplied to CCP by the Participant and shall remain in full force and effect until cancelled in writing by either party or superseded by a subsequent agreement. The Participant understands that these images will provide useful information related to people, their living conditions, and their health, and that requests to use the photos will be carefully screened for appropriate and respectful objectives.
How to enter?
Send images and Entry Form as email attachments to: email@example.com.
Send prints, slides, negatives, or CD-ROMs to:JHUCCP Photoshare WPD Photo Contest
Attn: David Alexander
111 Market Place, Suite 310
Baltimore, MD 21202 USA