Whether you are a student, a recent graduate or an older artist newly focused on your art-making, this competition is an opportunity to shine a spotlight on your work.
The contest is open to artists working in a variety of traditional art media, including oil, acrylic, watercolor, casein, gouache, egg tempera, soft pastel, oil pastel, charcoal, graphite, colored pencil, pen and ink, marker, scratchboard, mixed media and mixed-media collage, silver or other metal point, and printmaking (etching, mezzotint, lithography, woodcut, monotype, mono print, and aquatint). See our rules and regulations for more information.
Fifteen winners will be selected. Three winners will be selected for First, Second and Third Place Awards in each of five categories. All 15 artists will have their winning artwork featured in the November/December 2023 issue of Artists Magazine and on ArtistsNetwork.com. Winners will also receive additional prizes.
Artists Magazine’s 2nd Annual Artists to Watch art competition is open to artists all over the world. Must be 16 years of age by 1st February 2023.
More info about the five categories:
- Animal/Wildlife: Any animal in any setting satisfies the requirement for category. Entries will be judged, among other criteria, on the innovative handling of the subject, the expression and rendering.
- Abstract/Experimental: With unlimited subject matter, entries will be judged on the artist’s use of design, texture, media, lighting, and special techniques, among other criteria as determined by the judges.
- Landscape/Cityscape: Any landscape, from city scenes to imaginary horizons, will be judged in this category based on, among other things, the artist’s use of form, space, lighting, and mood.
- Portrait/Figure: Portrait and figure entries can be individuals or groups, and will be judged, among other criteria, on expressiveness and draftsmanship.
- Still Life/Interior: Entries will be judged, among other criteria, on overall design, unique arrangement of subject matter, handling of medium, lighting and mood
Please check the official website for additional information.
Artists Magazine’s 2nd Annual Artists to Watch Art Competition
Entry fee is $20 for Artists Network Members or $30 for nonmembers.