You are invited to participate in an open competition to provide the cover art for the re-publication of the widely-praised literary novel, The Unfastened Heart. The winner of this contest will be awarded The Icon Prize, and will receive $1500 in award money, with his or her artwork to be featured on the cover of the new edition of the novel.
This competition is being organized to support and nurture the work and careers of other artists who gather together around a common literary work.
Reviewers have called The Unfastened Heart “Magical!” (Cosmopolitan), “Evocative,” (Boston Globe), “Tender and compassionate . . . takes us deep into an enchanted — and enchanting — world.” (New York Times Book Review) The work is a testament to the haven of true friendship, the marvel of forgiveness, the wonder to be found within beginning again.
As a participant, you are advised to read the text on which the prize is based. In response to the work, you may enter for consideration paintings, photographs, graphic art, collage art, textile art and other visual media by submitting a digital photograph (in JPG or JPEG format) of the work to the link below. To accompany your work, include a statement about the part of the novel that inspired the art.
The winner of this contest will be awarded The Icon Prize, and will receive $1500 in award money, with his or her artwork to be featured on the cover of the new edition of the novel.
Finalists will be notified via e-mail by 31 January 2011.
- Submit your original artwork created in response to Lane von Herzen’s novel, The Unfastened Heart. Each submission should include a brief statement about the section of the novel to which your art speaks.
- You may enter for consideration paintings, photographs, graphic art, collage art, and other visual media by submitting a digital photograph (in JPG or JPEG format) of the work through the link at the bottom of this page.
- You may submit more than one entry.
- All submissions are subject to the format guidelines and limits set forth in this document.
- No submissions will be considered if they are defamatory, abusive, obscene, profane or otherwise offensive or in poor taste. Anyone who participates in the competition in a disrespectful or unlawful manner, including making hostile or negative comments related to age, disability, race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, or gender identity, will be disqualified.
- Posting of the work is at the discretion of the administrators.
- The judging staff will select the winning submission. The winner will be awarded the 2010 Icon Prize and a cash award of $1500, and the winner’s submission will be used for the cover art for the re-publication of The Unfastened Heart.
- By submitting your work to this competition, you are representing and agreeing as follows:
- your submission is your own original artwork and, at the time of your submission, you have all ownership rights in the submission;
- you authorize us to publish your submission on the author’s blogsite and website without restriction or compensation; and
- if you are selected as the winner, you will accept The Icon Prize and the $1500 award in full compensation for all right, title and interest in any and all visual reproductions of your original work for all purposes related to the novel and The Icon Prize. The artist retains ownership of the original work, and is free to sell the original work as he/she wishes.
The Icon Prize Terms and Conditions
How to enter?
Submit your entries on the official e-mail address.