The Vimeo Awards celebrate the most creative and original videos online and the individuals that make them.
The winner of the “Vimeo Award” – which recognizes the best online video overall-will win a grant of U.S. $25,000 for the development of a new video work.
People around the world can submit their videos for consideration across nine judged categories.
Each video must be submitted in one of the following nine categories:
- Narrative: Live-action narrative fiction told through the medium of film/video
- Documentary: Short films/videos that seek to document compelling actuality or reality
- Animation: A simulation of movement created by displaying a series of pictures or frames.
- Experimental: Short films/videos that are often characterized by the absence of a linear narrative.
- Music Video: Short films/videos that accompany a complete piece of music or song
- Motion Graphics: The use of the principles of graphic design to create a film or video using animation or filmic techniques.
- Remix: A film/video that combines elements such as sounds and pictures of other works to create a metamorphic work.
- Captured: Videos that capture an artistic expression or performance
- Original Series: A periodically released collection of original episodic content
The Grand Prize winner will receive a grant of U.S. $25,000 to create a new video work and will be invited to premier his or her work at the 2011 Vimeo Festival and Awards and the Vimeo website.
- The Feature Presentation Honorary Award: Honoring the vanguard and innovative release of unique feature film online (Nominations accepted)
- Digital Maverick Honorary Award: Honoring pioneering spirit in the world of online video.
- The contest is offered and open worldwide only to persons who are at least the age of majority of the jurisdiction of their residence at the time of entry.
- The following persons are not eligible to enter the contest:
- employees and directors of Vimeo, its parent company, and companies under common control with Vimeo;
- employees of vendors to Vimeo who are involved in any way with the contest;
- the contest judges;
- and members of the households of the foregoing persons.
- you can submit any original work as long as it has premiered online between 3 June 2008 and 30 July 2010 or has never been premiered anywhere.
- your submission must be in the English language or have English subtitles.
How to enter?
To enter the contest, you must submit a video online or via mail/courier. you must pay an entry fee for each submission that you submit.
To submit your submission, you must:
- log-in to your account on www.vimeo.com or via the Awards webpage;
- complete the entry form at the Awards webpage;
- upload your submission (or select your submission if it is already on the Vimeo website);
- pay the entry fee using an authorized payment method; and
To enter the contest by mail or courier, you must download and complete the entry form, and send it, a copy of your submission on a CD/DVD, and a money order for the entry fee (cash or checks will not be accepted) to the following address:Vimeo, LLC
555 W. 18th Street
New York, NY 10011
Attention: Vimeo Awards and Festival submissions
The entry fee is U.S. $20 for the general public and U.S. $5 for Vimeo Plus subscribers.
However, due to state contest laws, entrants who are residents of Arizona, Maryland, North Dakota, and Vermont (as evidenced by the addresses associated with their submissions, credit card, or other data as determined by Vimeo) will be refunded in full within thirty (30) days.