Entry has opened for the Andrei Stenin International Press Photo Contest 2021, Russia’s only platform for discovering new photojournalists.
The contest is aimed at supporting young photo journalists aged 18 to 33 in their striving for top professionalism.
The Grand Prize for 2021 is RUB 700,000 and there are three other monetary prizes for the best work in each competition category.
The contest offers young photo journalists an opportunity to make their concerns known. The main themes of the contest include global humanitarian challenges, national identity, social equality and the environment. The number of contest participants and the countries they come from has been growing every year. The contest itself is gaining popularity also thanks to the exhibitions of the winning entries, which have become an integral part of the event. They have been held in dozens of countries, including China, South Africa, Mexico, Argentina, Uruguay, DR Congo, Turkey, Lebanon, Germany, Spain, Italy, Greece, Hungary, Poland and many others.
Since 2018, the tour has also stopped at the New York headquarters of the United Nations, the main international organization for strengthening peace and security of all countries. In February 2020, the winners’ exhibition was hosted by the Council of Europe in Strasbourg.
In 2020 around 5,000 entries from 75 countries were submitted.
The contest categories for 2021 are:
- Top News — one photo image/series of images
- Sports — one photo image/series of images
- My Planet — one photo image/series of images
- Portrait. A Hero of Our Time — one photo image/series of images
The contest prizes for 2021 are:
- Grand Prix – RUB 700,000 (seven hundred thousand)/about USD 9,450.
- First Place for one photo image/series of images in each category – RUB 125,000 (one hundred and twenty-five thousand)/about USD 1650.
- Second Place for one photo image/series of images in each category – RUB 100,000 (one hundred thousand)/about USD 1350.
- Third Place for one photo image/series of images in each category – RUB 75,000 (seventy-five thousand)/about USD 1000.
The Andrei Stenin International Press Photo Contest was established on 22 December 2014 by Rossiya Segodnya under the patronage of the Russian Federation’s Commission for UNESCO. The Stenin Contest is the only competition in Russia that discovers new names in international photojournalism and develops quality standards for documentary photography.
The contest was launched in memory of Rossiya Segodnya photojournalist Andrei Stenin, who died a heroic death in southeastern Ukraine in August 2014. He was awarded the Order of Courage of the Russian Federation (posthumously), and Rossiya Segodnya decided to organize a contest in his honor.