Building Trust International is calling for entries to the “Her Place” design challenge, open to all architects, designers and engineers worldwide.
The competition is challenging participants to submit an innovative design proposal for a girls’ development center that will welcome girls from Nepalese municipalities, spreading knowledge to support rural areas and above all provide a safe environment for deeply vulnerable women.
Building Trust International will work alongside competition partners, local government and the winning team to build the winning proposal in Nepal, in 2021.
There are thousands of young women in deeply difficult and abusive situations with nowhere to turn. The region in Nepal desperately needs a centre where these girls can come for help, support, refuge and education about their rights.
The aim of this competition is to encourage and reward:
- Design excellence on a humanitarian issue which integrates function, aesthetics and structural ingenuity, improving the lives of people in Nepal.
- Research, respond to and highlight the unique aspects of design through consideration of contextual + environmental factors.
- Encourage sustainable design that provides a secure, long lasting building proposal for the charity partners and its benefactors.
- See your design built and aid in improving the lives of young women and their families.
The Site is located on the edge of Devachuli, close to a river and currently is made up of agricultural fields. It is a long rectilinear site that runs from east to west and is 100m by 13.5m. The client team would like to construct the building on 50% of the site leaving the rest of the site for garden and parking.
All proposals should include (approx. areas given in m2):
- Reception and admin area (15m2)
- 2x washrooms (each with 6 toilets)
- 2x large training halls (300m2)
- 3x office rooms (16m2)
- 2x en suite guest rooms (20m2)
- 1x multipurpose storage area (15m2)
Winning proposals will consider the following factors:
- Innovative design
- Climate and site conditions
- Comfort and Security
- Stimulate local economy
For more details and a complete brief, please visit the official website.
Her Place – Building Trust International 2021 Design Challenge – Registration Fee
The registration fee is £100.