With significant shifts in focus and scope, reflected in a new name, the 17th International Contemporary Art Festival SESC_Videobrasil opens enrolment for two different modalities of selection and prizes.
Starting with this edition, the Southern Panoramas Competitive Exhibition will accept work of various natures: video, installation, performance, printed objects, and other artistic experiments.
The competitive exhibition will award the monetary and residency prizes.
The Southern Panoramas Competitive Exhibition accepts work of various natures: video, installation, performance, printed objects, and other artistic experiments.
Artwork should be submitted in the following formats:
- Videos: Send the work on DVD.
- Installations: Send assembly instructions and technical details. If the installation involves video, send DVD.
- Performance: Send project description; in case the work has already been presented, add previous records and documentation.
- Publication/Printed object: Submit the work.
- Other formats: Submit documentation enabling comprehension of the work, assembly issues, etc. In case the work has already been presented, submit previous records.
A money prize of forty-five thousand Brazilian reais (approximately US$ 24,000 – gross value) will be granted to one of the works in the Southern Panoramas Competitive Exhibition. The work will be selected at the discretion of the Festival jury, which may also grant special mentions.
A total of 8 (eight) artist residency prizes will be granted to artists participating in the Southern Panoramas Competitive Exhibition, at the discretion of a jury selected by the Videobrasil Residency Programme. The prizes are as follows:
- Artist Residency Prize – France (one prize)
- WBK Vrije Academie Artist Residency Prizes – Amsterdam/The Netherlands (three prizes)
- Artist Residency Prize – Sacatar – Itaparica/Brazil (one prize)
- Artist Residency Prize – pArtage – Flic-en-Flac/Mauritius Islands (one prize)
- Artist Residency Prize – Centro Cultural de Espanha em São Paulo/AECID – Kiosko – Santa Cruz de la Sierra/Bolivia (one prize)
- FAAP Artistic Residency Prize – São Paulo/Brazil (one prize)
Prizes are granted in partnership with the following institutions: Prince Claus Fund (The Netherlands); Centro Cultural de Espanha em São Paulo, Spanish Agency for International Development Cooperation (AECID), and Residencies_in_Red programme (Ibero-America); Consulate General of France in São Paulo; Alliance Française; Armando Alvares Penteado Foundation; and WBK Vrije Academie (The Netherlands).
All of the works granted awards or mentions at the Competitive Exhibition will become part of the Videobrasil on Tour programme, which will travel to exhibition sites in Brazil and abroad. Other selected works may also be included in the same programme at the curators’ discretion.
- Videos, installations, performances, book-objects, and other artistic experiments will be accepted that were produced from May 2009 onwards by visual artists born in Latin America, the Caribbean, Africa, Asia (except Japan), Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Oceania.
- Each participant will be allowed to submit up to 3 (three) works, but the Competitive Exhibition will select a maximum of one work per author.
- Submitted works will not be returned.
How to enter?
Artwork will only be considered that arrives at the place of submission by the deadline, along with the following material:
- Printed Entry Form, with all fields filled out and signed; or signed Protocol (in case the Form is filled out online).
- CD with three to five photos of the work and one photo of the artist, in B&W or in color. Photos should be in jpeg format, 24 x 15 cm, and in high resolution (300 dpi).
- 1 copy of the author’s (authors’) résumé, including current address, telephone, and e-mail, in digital format.
The artist’s résumé file may also be attached to the Entry Form; in this case, there is no need to attach it to the material at the time of submission.
The works, material, and documents should be sent to:Associação Cultural Videobrasil17º Festival Internacional de Arte Contemporânea SESC_Videobrasil
MOSTRA COMPETITIVA PANORAMAS DO SUL
Av. Imperatriz Leopoldina, 1150
São Paulo – SP – Brasil
Attention: for material sent from outside Brazil, write clearly on the package: DVD PARA FESTIVAL DE CARÁTER CULTURAL, SEM FINS LUCRATIVOS (meaning “nonprofit DVD for cultural festival”). To avoid problems at the customs, do not declare a value higher than R$ 5,00 (five Brazilian reais; roughly US$ 2.70) on the package.
Questions should be sent to: 17Festival [at] videobrasil.org.br (please replace [at] with @).