The upcoming 7th annual GIRAF (Giant Incandescent Resonation Animation Festival) runs in November at the Plaza Theatre in Calgary, Canada. GIRAF is committed to gaining greater awareness for animation as an art form, and celebrates the spirit of independent, underground, and experimental animation.
The Festival is looking for Animation submissions, in all genres, lengths, and mediums.
The festival programs are a strong eclectic mix of animation, representing the best of the medium from Claymation to CG. The focus is onpresenting independent animations that push boundaries through new techniques, unique visions, and stimulating subject matter.
GIRAF7 encourages short and feature length local, national, and international animation submissions, in all genres, lengths, and mediums.
Chosen submissions will be presented through the Animated City component of the 7th GIRAF festival, 2-6 November 2011. From buildings to storefront windows, animations will be projected on a large scale in high traffic locations, around the city of Calgary.
Short submissions are eligible for 4 awards in the following categories:
- Best of Alberta,
- Best of Canada,
- Best International Short Animation Awards (Juried), &
- Audience Favorite Short Animation Award
- Animations must be independently produced (not by major studios), with the director retaining complete editorial control. The Festival programs current work, produced within the last 3 years.
- Preview DVD’s must be NTSC region free. Please label each disc with Title, Your Name, and Runtime. Submit with completed application form (one for each film submitted).
- Please do not submit additional promotional material. Successful entries will be asked for promotional images upon acceptance.
- Preview discs will not be returned unless accompanied by a self addressed stamped envelope. Discs of work accepted for the festival will become a part of the GIRAF and Quickdraw Library.
- Submission of an entry indicates acceptance of all regulations, and authorizes GIRAF to publicly exhibit the entered work.
How to enter?
Fill out the online submission form, and mail your DVD until deadline! Please read the submission guidelines, before sending your film. Improperly labeled, submitted, and formatted films will be disqualified.
Send submissions to:GIRAF7: Submissions
c/o Quickdraw Animation Society
201-351 11th Ave SW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2R 0C7