Global Health 5050 is running “This is Gender 2021: Global Health 50/50 Photography Competition” and invites all photographers worldwide to participate.
This is Gender 2021 calls on photographers to share their vision of what gender looks like and to submit photographs that explore the diverse ways in which gender norms – rigid and fluid, traditional and progressive – are lived and subverted by men, women and non-binary people.
The COVID-19 pandemic has held a mirror up to society and revealed our relationship to our environments, each other and the systems in which we live. In turn, the pandemic has exposed existing social fractures and inequalities. As borders have closed and our gaze has turned inward, the pandemic has both exasperated pervasive and restrictive notions of gender roles and catalysed transformations in the gendered landscape.
At this moment of global upheaval, lives and society at large are being impacted and changed in diverse and gendered ways. It’s now more important than ever to produce and distribute imagery that reflects the diverse realities of gender. We encourage photographers to contribute to expanding the imagery associated with the concept of gender by exploring, for example:
- How the landscape of work – professional, domestic, care or otherwise – is gendered
- How gender intersects with health and well-being
- How politics and commercial industries exploit gender roles and how they are challenged
- How gender intersects with other aspects of identities and vulnerabilities
The organizers are particularly interested, but not exclusively, in works that contemplate these topics in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
All photographic and photo-journalistic forms are welcome and photographers from low- and middle-income communities and countries are particularly encouraged to participate. Winners will be decided by a panel of international experts in photography, visual culture, gender and global health.
- £500 cash prize for first place and cash prizes available for secondary category awards.
- Global exposure across our platform, media partnerships and through our world-recognized annual report.
- Opportunity to have your work featured in a curated exhibition (online if COVID-19 dictates).
- Opportunity to join our global photographer database and connect with organizations and individuals seeking imagery to complement their work in global health and development.
- GH5050 certificate for outstanding depiction of gender.
About Global Health 50/50
Global Health 50/50 is an independent, evidence-driven initiative to advance action and accountability for gender equality in global health.