Architectural Competition – Concours d’Architecture is giving you a unique chance to create for the city of Amsterdam. The [AMSTERDAM] Iconic Pedestrian Bridge architectural competition is inviting you to create a new architectural symbol for an European capital city – an iconic pedestrian bridge!
One of the main purposes of this international competition is to encourage and reward design excellence between architecture and engineering.
Winning participants will receive prizes totaling $5,400! There will also be 7 honorable mentions.
Design an Iconic Pedestrian Bridge in the Heart of Amsterdam
The aim of this international competition is to design an Iconic Pedestrian Bridge in the Heart of Amsterdam. The architecture of this new structure should reflect contemporary design tendencies.
The proposal must not only attend to the specific function but the design should also take into consideration the urban insertion and impact geared towards creating a new architectural symbol for an European capital city. This competition hopes to achieve the following:
- Encourage and reward design excellence between architecture and engineering.
- Research, respond to and highlight the unique aspects of designing an original footbridge.
- To generate the discussion of ideas regarding the functionality of bridges in relation with art and sculpture.
- Encourage the employment of sustainable design in all aspects of the proposal.
This is a single stage competition with the aim of identifying the most appropriate proposal, which best satisfies the general and specific objective of the contest.
Make sure your entry satisfies the following design criteria:
- Access: Access must meet the disabled access standards.
- Structure: Although no engineering calculation is to be presented, an “architectonic” structural design is to be suggested as a basis or foundation for the building’s final structural criteria. This means that the structure should be clearly represented both in plan and sections.
- Special organisation: Note that you can design the café, bicycle repair area and services on the bridge itself as well as both bank sites.
The height passage underneath should follow international convention of river transport: 15 meters minimum.
- Volume: The volume must relate harmoniously with its context, but also be unique and original.
- Materials: There is no restriction with regards to the choice of materials, however thought should be given to the idea of sustainability.
Three Main Cash Prizes + 7 Honorable Mentions Available
Winning participants will receive prizes totaling US$ 5,400 with the distribution as follows:
- 1st Prize: US$ 3,000
- 2nd Prize: US$ 1,600
- 3rd Prize: US$ 800
There will also be 7 honorable mentions.
1st Prize, 2nd Prize and 3rd Prize will be published in a number of magazine press and blogs as well as on the [AC-CA] website.
Enter Group or Individual Entries
- Submissions can be the work of an individual or a group up to 4 members and there is no age limit. However, entrants under 18 years of age must be lead or entered by someone over 18 year of age.
- There are no special conditions, however, the design should sit comfortably in harmony with the site. It should also be as aesthetically interesting and inviting to visitors with an expression of great spatial awareness.
Submit Your Iconic Amsterdam Bridges Online
You can enter online by registering on the official website.
Please consider that, all entry submissions must be sent via email to amsterdam [at] ac-ca.org (please replace [at] with @) until midnight on 29th February 2012 (23:59, -00:00 GMT).
- Early Bird Registration: US$ 80 from 30th October to 15th December 2011
- Late Registration: US$ 120 from 16th December 2011 to 15th February 2012