eVolo Magazine is pleased to invite students, architects, engineers, and designers from around the globe to take part in the 2011 Skyscraper Competition.
The annual eVolo Skyscraper Competition is a forum for the discussion, development, and promotion of innovative concepts for vertical density. It examines the relationship between the skyscraper and the natural world, the skyscraper and the community, and the skyscraper and the city.
The aim of this competition is to redefine what we understand as a skyscraper and initiate a new architectural discourse of economic, environmental, intellectual, and perceptual responsibility that could ultimately modify our cities and improve our way of life.
The objective is to provide maximum freedom to the participants to engage the project without constraints in the most creative way.
What is a skyscraper in the 21st century? What are the historical, contextual, social, urban, and environmental responsibilities of these mega-structures?
- 1st place – US $5000
- 2nd place – US $2000
- 3rd place – US $1000
- Students, architects, engineers, and designers are invited to participate in the competition. You’re encouraged to have multidisciplinary teams.
- Participants may submit various projects, but must register each entry.
- Participants must register by 11 January 2011.
- One registration = One project.
- There is no limit as to the number of participants per team. Individual entries are accepted.
- After your registration has been approved eVolo will send the registration number which will be necessary for submission boards.
- This is an anonymous competition and the registration number is the only means of identification.
- The official language of the competition is English.
- The registration fee is non-refundable.
- Contacting the Jury is prohibited.
- Entrants will be disqualified if any of the competition rules are not considered.
- Participation assumes acceptance of the regulations.
How to enter?
This is a digital competition and no hardcopies are necessary.
Entrants must submit their proposal via email no later than 18 January 2011 (23:00 hours US Eastern Time) to the following email address: skyscraper2011 [at] evolo.us (please replace [at] with @).
The project submission must contain the following files:
- Two boards with the project information including plans, sections, and perspectives. Participants are encouraged to submit all the information they consider necessary to explain their proposal. These boards should be 24″ X 48″ in horizontal format. The resolution of the boards must be 150 dpi, RGB mode and saved as JPG files. The upper right corner of each board must contain the participation number. There should not be any marks or any other form of identification. The files must be named after the registration number followed by the board number. For example: 0101-1.jpg and 0101-2.jpg.
- A DOC file containing the project statement (600 words max). This file must be named after the registration number followed by the word “statement”. For example: 0101-statement.doc.
- A DOC file containing the entrants’ personal information, including name, profession, address, and email. This file must be named after the registration number followed by the word “info”. For example: 0101-info.doc.
- All the files must be placed in a ZIP folder named after your registration number. For example: 0101.zip
- Early Registration: US $65 until 16 November 2010
- Late Registration: US $85 from 17 November 2010 to 11 January 2011