FAP 2022 asks students to submit ideas to reinterpret an existing built entity as a public property that is safe, inviting, sustainable and gives back to the community.
Buildings sitting empty have become a more common sight for the past year due to the current health crisis. This is especially so for commercial developments such as office towers and retail malls, as well as cultural or institutional places such as museums and theatre halls. What should we do about these buildings that still have the bones and structural integrity to support activities and life? Could we reinterpret these entities for the public good?
FuturArc Prize (FAP) 2022: Reinterpretation asks how corporate/private/state-owned entities in Asia could be reinterpreted as civic/public spaces that are good, inviting, safe and sustainable. Could we turn them, for example, into: high-rise community farms to contribute to the local food supply; solar PV or hydro farms that feed power back to the local grid that are also sites for public amenities; or parks with play and learning areas for children, or communal facilities for the elderly?
All winners will be awarded with the FuturArc Prize Trophy and the following cash prizes.
- 1st Place: Cash prize of SGD8,000 plus 2-year subscription to FuturArc app
- 2nd Place: Cash prize of SGD3,500 plus 1-year subscription to FuturArc app
- 3rd Place: Cash prize of SGD2,000 plus 1-year subscription to FuturArc app
- Citations (up to 12 citations will be given): SGD500 each plus 1-year subscription to FuturArc app
- 22 November 2021: Registration & submission start
- 25 February 2022: Registration & submission end
- End of April 2022: Results & individual notification
- May & June 2022: Awards
- September & December 2022: Publication in FuturArc magazine
About FuturArc Prize
FuturArc Prize was launched in 2007 by the BCI Group of Companies through its publication arm, FuturArc, to generate forward-thinking, innovative design ideas for Asia. The competition offers a platform to professionals and students who are passionate about the environment. Through the force of their imagination, it aspires to capture visions of a sustainable future.
FuturArc is a quarterly magazine publication (4 issues per year) that focuses on Green architecture and design, reporting on prominent projects and featuring in-depth discussions and commentaries of issues relevant to architects and industry professionals.
Please find all details on the brief, registration and submission, on the FuturArc Prize official website.